What is the best alternative medicine for managing chronic pain?
Tramadol is the best alternative for managing moderate to moderately severe pain for daily basis. It helps in relieving various type of pain such as post-operative pain, neuropathic pain, osteoarthritis, back and lower back pain, pain associated with labor, pain related to sports injury fibromyalgia etc.
Classified as a centrally-acting, oral analgesic (pain drug) that contains an opioid SNRI (serotonin/norepinephrine reuptake-inhibitor), tramadol is structurally related to codeine and morphine. Therefore, it also has antidepressant, anxiolytic, and anti-shivering effects which may frequently occur along with pain. It helps in changing the way the nervous system of a person responds to the pain. As it is similar to a substance present in brain called endorphins. Endorphins connect to receptors (receptors are parts of cells that receive certain substance), and then receptors decrease the pain messages that body sends to the brain.
Direction on Safe and adequate Usage of tramadol
- To improve tolerance, patients should begin with 25 mg/day, and then increase it to 50 mg for every 3 days to reach 50-100 mg/day.
- To convert from immediate release to extended release, the total daily dose should be rounded down to the nearest 100 mg.
- The recommended dosage for tramadol is 100 mg (immediate release tablets) every 4-6 hours for severe pain. The maximum per day dosage should not exceed is 400 mg.
- It may be taken with food or in empty stomach.
- It may be used taken with other medicines as part of combination therapy.
- Though it should not be taken with Carbamazepine, Depression drugs, such as sertraline, fluoxetine, paroxetine, citalopram, escitalopram, duloxetine, or venlafaxine, Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), including isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or selegiline
- Children below age of 12 years should not be treated with tramadol for managing pain without medical prescription.
- Maximum dosage for patients older than 75 years should not be more than 300 mg per day.
Some of the common side effects of tramadol which requires precautions are:
- nausea and vomiting
- lack of energy
- dry mouth
It is recommended not to drive or operate heavy machinery or perform any dangerous activity after consuming tramadol tablets as it may cause drowsiness.
The reason due to which tramadol is superior to other pain managing drugs.
Tramadol is not a NSAID (Non- steroidal anti inflammatory drug) so is does not have risk of internal bleeding, stomach ulcler, liver malfunctioning that can occus with NSAIDs. NSAID such as asprin, ibuprofen and naproxen reduce inflammation thus redusing the pain but tramadol changes the response of nervous system with respect to pain
Non-opiod painkillers such as acetaminophen which is sold in the name of paracetamol is used to treat many conditions of mild pain such as fevers, colds muscle aches, headache, backache, arthritis, and toothaches. High dose of acetaminophen can cause liver damage, especially if the patient drinks alcohol.
Compound painkillers such as co-codaprin, co-codamol, co-dydramol are a combination of various drugs in a single tablet. They may include aspirin, paracetamol, codeine or dihydrocodeine and are used to treat mild to moderate pain such as injuries, headaches, osteoarthritis, etc. The problem with the compound painkiller is that each drug present in single tablet have different side effect.
Tramadol is safer and NSAID, non-opiod painkiller and compound painkiller for the relief of post-operative pain, neuropathic pain, osteoarthritis, back and lower back pain, labor pain, pain related to sports injury fibromyalgia with fewer side effects.